Sunday, November 1, 2015

Wine Disciples Enoteca

I'll let you in on a secret. 

There's a website out there that gives you food and drink deals, plus a few extra perks if you're a Citi member. It's called Blackboard Eats.

They've got deals in a handful of cities in the U.S., but I (of course) am all about the NYC deals. 
So I jumped on a deal for Wine Disciples Enoteca. What's better than going to a restaurant with good reviews, AND getting a free glass of wine along the way? (The answer is: very few things). 

The decor is dim, woody, and cozy -- tiles on the floors, stuffed leather booths, high wooden chairs. I forgot to snap pictures of those, because I was focused on the food.

The food was cracking. 

There was fregola with lamb neck and pecorino. Fregola is a pearly, coarse pasta, a bit like couscous. I had never encountered it before, but I was drawn in by the lamb. The dish was hearty and stew-y, and downright delicious. The pecorino added just the right amount of creaminess to it.


And there was hot coppa and cimini pizza.The ham had a spice to it, and the crust was fluffy. Quite good. 



Of course, you cannot forget the wine. It was a very crisp and refreshing Riesling.


But what you truly truly cannot forget (when eating with me, at least) is the dessert.

I'm usually one for chocolate desserts. I'm adventurous with just about anything except the sweet course. I'll eat frog's legs, sea urchin, pig intestines, and liver pate. But dessert, I tend to stick with what I know.

This time, however, I broke out of my comfort zone. I was bold. I went all out.

I ordered the pear torta. 


Pear, frangipane, caramel, lots of cream -- it all came together to a really fabulous dessert. It was light and not too sweet, a good way to end a rich meal. 


It was truly a great dinner. Please do yourself a favor and go. Maybe even stop by the wine store right next door ... conveniently called Wine Disciples.

No comments:

Post a Comment