Sunday, October 25, 2015

A Word on New York Bagels

Everyone loves New York bagels.

I don't even say that facetiously.

My grandmother in Taiwan last came to New York when I was in middle school. (To put that in perspective, I "graduated" middle school in 2007.) When I visited her in Taiwan last summer, she was reminiscing about the wonderful bagels she had all those years ago, piled high with cream cheese. I promised that I would bring some to her next time. 

My best friend, from Michigan, visited New York this past summer and experienced true New York bagels. It was sliced, toasted nice and hot, and came with a veritable brick of cream cheese. She said it looked daunting...but tasted delicious. 

It is a scientific fact that New York bagels are simply different and better. That applies to delis, bodegas, and bagel shops. It also applies to supermarkets: the bagels at Fairway are simply some of the best bagels I have gotten from markets. 

Toast them so that they have a crunchy bite on the outside, but are warm and chewy on the inside. I like to have a rich spread of cream cheese, maybe with a few slices of nova lox. But almond butter is also a good pairing I like; it's a good protein boost as I read.

I always recommend a trip to NYC, for so many reasons. But bagels should definitely be one of those reasons.





No comments:

Post a Comment