Friday, October 9, 2015

Mac-And-Awe

Michiganders will get my title reference, if you say it phonetically. For those of you not familiar, it's a reference to Mackinac Island, which is pronounced as if the last "c" was a "w." It's an island which does not allow cars and always smells of chocolate fudge. I've never been (despite many plans with friends to go before I graduated), but I'm sure it's fabulous. 

This week was full of unhealthy, bad eating. There were lots of cookies and cheese involved. It did not help that the law school faculty decided to celebrate the advent of autumn with cider and donuts in the courtyard. Surely, it would be rude of me not to partake (copiously). 


The cider was warm. The donuts were fresh and sweet. I was happy. 

And then last night, we went to Delicatessen. It's in NoLita and boasts "international comfort food." I knew they were for real when they had this sign outside their door:



I am a very big fan of mac and cheese of any kind. Luckily for me and members of my class, we are always happy to have mac and cheese in fancy-ish places.

The interior is very cool and open. It was too windy to sit outside yesterday, so we plumped for indoor seats and let the light and noises of outside filter their way in. 



While looking at the menu, I peeked at other tables. Burgers were a common order, as were Delicatessen's truffle-parmigiano fries. They all looked really good, but I got my eye on another side: jalapeno cornbread with sweet butter. Alas, I decided to forego a side. Mac and cheese was going to be filling enough, and I knew I was going to want dessert.

And what a fantastic decision that was. I got the Mac Lobsta', with chunks of lobster, cognac, mascarpone, and tarragon. It was everything I wanted and more.


(I love when mac and cheese comes bubbling in a skillet, and you get edges of crispy mac and cheese, while the inside stays gooey. Perfect harmony.)

Lobster was delicious. Cheese was creamy. Everything was awesome. If you come, please order some version of their mac and cheese. There are many options, and they all sound so good. (My second choice after the lobster was the Mac Quack, with duck confit. If anyone tries that...let me know how it is? Thanks.)

We polished off our skillets while groaning about how full we were...before asking for the dessert menu. And ordering the malted chocolate cheesecake.


Sweet pretzel base, chocolate cheesecake, and chocolate sorbet. It was rich, sweet, fudge-y, and the perfect ending to a fantastic meal. The table next to ours, bearing three college girls, paused their conversation and turned to look as the server brought this beautiful plate over. I later heard them asking about the cheesecake. 

Delicatessen is a place worth a visit. You'll leave grinning ear to ear.


(Coat: Banana Republic. Blouse: J. Crew. Pants: J. Crew. Tote: Tod's.)

No comments:

Post a Comment