Sunday, October 4, 2015

Retrospective Reviews

I said in the previous post that I've eaten at some nice places before. But since that issue was not yet resolved, I am not precluded from going into those details. Without further ado, a smattering of good food from New York and beyond:

New York

Tony's DiNapoli will always be a favorite. I first had their food when I was in middle school and my mom worked overtime and she'd bring food home. That was when I first head of Seamless and first had Tony's. My life was never the same afterward. Now, every time my parents and I visit the city, we eat at Tony's. Their seafood linguine with squid ink pasta is always, forever, reliably good. Their chicken is also tender and so so good. I'm a fan of their penne alla vodka (because who doesn't like that dish?), but my parents were less keen. 

Piadina has some great pasta. It is located in the basement floor, but it's very cute inside. Their garganelli with prosciutto, peas, and cream sauce is ahhhhmazing. 

Egg Shop is Andrew's "favorite breakfast place" in NYC. The name is pretty self-explanatory: they do eggs. But good eggs. And their biscuit with honey butter is out of this world. There's typically a wait on weekend mornings, but it's so worth it. 

Buvette only has two locations, New York and Paris, but I heard about via The Londoner That surely is the sign of The Real Deal. I went and saw a loooong line...but didn't have to wait because there was a table open for two people. So I can't say much about how long the typical wait is. The important thing to note about this place is that they make their scrambled eggs with a coffee steamer, so their eggs are fluffy and just the right amount of creamy. I got the one with salmon and creme fraiche. Holy mackerel (get it?), was it delicious.


Ann Arbor

I spent the past four years at the University of Michigan (Go Blue!), learning, having fun, connecting with friends who still stick for a lifetime, and eating all this great city had to offer.

Frita Batidos is downright insane. Their burgers are monstrosities that will leave you full for hours (if not days) -- there are fries INSIDE the burger. I went right after my LSAT, which added a food coma on top of my already-mushy/exhausted brain. I brought my parents here once. The line was 30-45 minutes long, and they grumbled about it. But after we ate our fritas and garlic cilantro fries, they both agreed that the line was very much worth it. 


Sava's is an Ann Arbor institution. They also have cool floors. And amazing mac and cheese. And addicting sweet potato fries. And a smashing breakfast menu. 




Aventura is run by the same geniuses who run Sava's, so it is obviously good. I knew this place was a keeper since the first I went (with the lovely Julia) This place does great tapas and some amazing brunch. 





Mani has some of the best pasta carbonara I've ever had. Their pizzas are pretty great too. But their hidden gem is their Sunday brunch. During senior year of college, my best friend and I made a ritual of Sunday Mani brunch, complete with mimosas, bruschetta, and waffles/eggs/polenta.







I've been to The Earle three times, for special occasions. You must get their duck; The Earle is famous for it for a reason. Their tiramisu is also quite delicious.

Asia

Asia does some great fusion cooking, to appeal to local and foreign tastes. The result is delicious. Cilantro is prime example of this, with its Japanese-French fusion. This place only offers lunch on Fridays, and only dinner on other days. Their lamb is something else. Every time I'm in Kuala Lumpur, I insist on dinner here.


Sage is run by the same people over at Cilantro, but they're different. One of the most obvious differences is that Sage does lunch! Their rendition of the mentaiko angel hair (a Cilantro specialty) is even better than the original at Cilantro -- just as buttery, but lighter and fresher. Sage also does a chocolate lava cake a la mode. I can't resist chocolate. 





There are few restaurants as dedicated to the integrity of their ingredients as Sushi Hinata. They would rather close for a day than use fish that is not freshly imported from Japan. The chefs here are Japanese, and the food is incredible. The courses are served with care and thought, to make sure each fish complements the other. You can taste the sea in each bite. Life-changing sushi, truly. I didn't even like uni before coming here, but now I'm obsessed. 




If tasting menus are your thing, Fujiya 1935 is a must-go. When you go, you're first led to a bench, where you sit and wait (and drink plum soda). Then you're brought to your table inside the restaurant, passing the kitchen on your way, and experience course after course of simply sublime food. The restaurant gives you a menu at the end so that you can remember your meal. The chef is remarkably young and tremendously talented. 






London

Whoever said food in England is bad just didn't know where to eat. 

Dinner by Heston Blumenthal is admittedly not cheap, but good heavens is it delicious. I can go on and on about their meat fruit, but my words won't do it justice. I'll just say this: I don't like liver pate at all. But I finished this meat fruit. 







The Table has great cappuccinos (according to my mom; I'm not a coffee person), savory Cumberland sausages, and the best waffles...perhaps ever. Plus, it's not too far from Borough Market. 



The Delaunay will make sure you leave full. Their portions are really generous. And their duck is really tender.






No comments:

Post a Comment